The Junior Academy offers the same list of activities as the ‘adult’ version of the Ševčík academy. Students will be mentored by lecturers, perform at public concerts and a rich accompanying program will be provided for them.
for students aged from 8 to 11 years
What do we offer?
Master classes with the musical staff are the foundation of the Ševčík Academy’s learning experience. These take the form of both public master classes and private lessons.
Students of the Academy will have the opportunity to perform at concerts held during the festival, and free admission to all festival concerts where they are not performing, including the concerts given by the teachers and invited guests.
The Academy’s mission is to support and further the development of every student, whether by focusing on instrumental technique or by learning the traditional repertoire.
As a new feature, we will be offering popular presentations on the topic of personal development. These presentations will feature talks and lectures not only by the Academy team members, but also by guests such as the concert master of the Berlin Philharmonic.
During the Academy, students will have the opportunity to explore the possibilities of ensemble technique by playing, together with the teachers, in the experimental “Orchestra Š”.
Lectures and seminars, on the life and work of Otakar Ševčík and instrumental technique in general, are an integral part of the Ševčík Academy.
Students have the opportunity to form various chamber ensembles, led by our teachers, and perform together in concert.
During the Academy, attendees will be able to visit an exhibit on Otakar Ševčík, try out new instruments and bows, and learn more about musician health topics.
Sport and leisure activities
There will be a sports program, led by interns, which will feature a ping pong tournament, football matches, and nature walks.
Accommodation and meals
Student housing is located within easy walking distance of all the Academy’s activities and students will take their meals together with the teachers at Hotel Prácheň.
- The recommended day of arrival is on Sunday, August 6th, 2023. On the same day, between 3 and 6 PM the registration of the attendees will take place in the Art Nouveau hall of Hotel Prácheň
- The opening concert will take place on Monday, August 7th, 2023 at 8 PM in Hotel Prácheň
- The closing concert will take place on Thursday, August the 17th, 2023 at 8 PM in Hotel Prácheň
- The departure of all participants is on Friday 18th August 2023
- The latest deadline for registration through the online form will be announced
LOCATION & ACCOMODATION
All students will be accommodated within the premises of the former Franciscan monastery which is now the residence of the Horažďovice High School’s boarding houses. Within the same compound (in a direct proximity to the accommodation), there is an Elementary Art School which provides an alternative opportunity for practice. Hotel Prácheň, one of the centers of the Ševčík Academy’s activities, is about 1-minute walk away from the accommodation, and Horažďovice’s main square and the palace, where other parts of the programme take place, are less than 5-minute walk away from the accommodation.
Both the students and the lecturers will be provided with breakfasts, lunches and dinners in Hotel Prácheň which has a superb restaurant at its disposal. The meals are suitable for vegetarians, vegans and people with intolerances and allergies as well.
- We help all international students with transport arrangements
- If you travel individually, there is a direct bus from Prague (approx 2 hours). Travel by car from Pilsen takes one hour, from Prague 2 hours, from Munich 3 hours or Vienna 4 hours
- Train connection from Prague (with a transfer in Pilsen) takes 2,5 hours
For the duration of Ševčík Academy, a pedagogical supervision will be provided to both Junior categories (age 8 – 15). Nevertheless, students attend the classes individually. For this reason, every underage participant has to submit a Consent of a Legal Representative regarding the agreement with individual lessons attendance at the arrival.
Junior Academy 2024
- Music education
- Festival concerts
- Individual approach
- Personal development
- Orchestra Š
- Chamber playing
- Accompanying program
- Sport and leisure activities
- Accommodation and meals